There are a lot of things that I like about Sam Talbot’s 100% Real. If I had to distill it down to just one thing… it would be his knack for showcasing inventive & healthy food in a enjoyable and non-judgmental way. In 100% Real, Chef Sam lays out a methodology for eating well that is simple and approachable. In a world where we’re being overrun with information, it it nice to read something and think “Yes… OK. That makes sense. I can do that.”
True, many of the recipes might require you to retool how you think about preparing food. Example the World’s Fluffiest Waffles calls for a combination of rice flour, chickpea flour, tapioca flour, and coconut flour. Forget about the all purpose flour if you’re planning to make these recipes as written. Still, that isn’t insurmountable. It really just requires a change in how you think about food and what you would consider to be a pantry staple.
Much of Chef Sam’s philosophy towards food makes sense to me. He’s a Type 1 diabetic, which means his approach to the 100% Real lifestyle also means watching processed and refined carbs and sweeteners. I think that’s something I can get behind. I find that I do best on a Paleo-ish food plan and a lot of this meshes with that. His food is interesting and inventive. I can’t wait to dive in and start cooking!
On My ‘To Make’ List
- Snap Salad with Strawberries, Spearmint, and Lemongrass
- Marinated Melon with Squash, Ricotta, and Arugula
- White Bean and Cilantro Hummus
- Mini Falafel Pocket Sandwiches
- Sweet Potato Hash Brown Open-Face Sandwich with Am and Cranberry-Dijon Brussels Slaw
- Pear, Brie, and Ham Toasts
- Easy Cauliflower Rice with Roasted Vegetables and Chicken
- Miso-Peanut Kale Chips
- Cinnamon and Coconut Chickpeas
- All The Way Up Energy Bars
- Warm Camembert Cheese
- Chicken Sticks with Zucchini and Apples
- Sweet and Spicy Pork
- Maple and Turmeric-Marinated Pork Chops with Pickled Carrots and Daikon
- Teriyaki Cucumbers with Lime, Jalapeño, and Cilantro
- Grilled Marinated Melon with Bok Choo, Roasted Shallots, and Coconut Milk Vinaigrette
- Apples Foster with Coconut and Whiskey Caramel
- Gluten-Free Berry Espresso Buckle
This review is based on a NetGalley ARC provided in exchange for an honest, unbiased opinion.