I love it when I’m pleasantly surprised by a cookbook. And I always feel a little guilty for having doubted the author. So let me begin this post by extending my apologies to Natalie Perry because I got a little judgy before I got very far into The Big Book of Paleo Slow Cooking.
When I first started leafing through this cookbook, I thought the recipes were going to be a wee bit on the pedestrian side. One of the opening recipes was a riff on an old pot-luck classic here in the Midwest. Ever had crock pot little smokies in a sauce made from BBQ sauce, grape jelly, and bourbon? Bourbon Dogs, my brother calls them. Yeah, that’s the one. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not hating on Bourbon Dogs. I just didn’t expect to see a Paleo recipe for them in a cookbook. I thought it was going to set the stage for things to come. Wow. I was wrong.
I made it a practice to page through a new cookbook and make note of recipes that I’d like to try out. As you can see on my list below, I had no trouble finding recipes that I’d like to make from The Big Book of Paleo Slow Cooking. Myself, I think that Paleo makes a lot of sense for my own body. Healthy sources of proteins and fats, as well as a healthy dose of fruits and veg. We can debate about dairy and grains but, really, that’s a discussion for another time. What I would like to discuss is delicious-sounding food. And the Big Book has that in droves. I’m looking forward to diving into several of the recipes. It is merely an added bonus that the recipes are all done in the crock pot and cut down the active time spent in the kitchen.
I’ve had a jones for fresh pineapple lately, so the Whole Caramelized Pineapple with Sweet Ginger Sauce might be first up on the list.
On My ‘To Make’ List
- Sausage-Stuffed Mini Peppers and Pesto Dip
- Ginger-Scallion Turkey Meatballs with Chili Mayo
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- Sweet and Smokey Mixed Nuts
- Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
- Roasted Garlic and Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Leeks
- Italian Sausage and Kale Soup with Sweet Potatoes
- Creamy Avocado Soup with Jalapeño-Garlic Shrimp
- Smokey Shredded Chicken and Chorizo Chili
- Sloppy Joe and Sweet Potato Chili
- Green Chile Shredded Chicken
- Ranch Chicken with Broccoli and Bacon
- Maple-Mustard Chicken with Carrots and Brussels Sprouts
- Blackberry-Chipotle BBQ Chicken with Carrots and Sweet Potatoes
- Asian Beef Short Rib Lettuce Wraps
- Mongolian Beef & Broccoli
- Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin with Fruity Date Sauce
- Salt-“Roasted” Beets
- Orange-Maple Carrots
- Spaghetti Squash with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette
- Paleo Tortillas
- Whole Caramelized Pineapple with Sweet Ginger Sauce
This review is based on a NetGalley ARC provided in exchange for an honest, unbiased opinion.