I feel the need to make a confession. I am an ingredient snob. And, so, I feel a little guilty about this soup. Velveeta. Cream of soups. Eek. BUT… this is quick and OH so good. It really hit the spot today as we’re bunkering down in the face of an impending ice storm.
Sure, you can get all fancy with this. Craft beer instead of a canned Light. An exquisite sharp cheddar cheese instead of the bricked processed stuff. Homemade white sauce instead of the canned cream of soups. But really? Sometimes I just want to chill out about it. And chill out I did. With a big bowl of this:
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 can or bottle beer
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1lb 5 oz shredded potatoes
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 16 oz Velveeta
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Add the stock, beer, celery, and onion to a soup pot and simmer covered for around 20 minutes.
- Add potatoes and carrots. Cook until tender.
- Add canned soups and cheese. Heat on medium-low until cheese is melted and soup is hot.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!