The salad is delicious and really hit the spot for a spring dinner. It seems to hit all the right notes. Sweet, salty, tangy, crunchy. You’ve got the healthy raw veggies and just a little bit of naughty from the bacon. It is usually considered to be a side dish but we had big bowls of it and considered it a meal.
This one also comes from my Aunt Kathy.
- 2 pounds broccoli, cut into florets (about 5 cups)
- 10 slices bacon, fried crisp, crumbled
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup sunflower nuts
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- In large bowl, combine broccoli, bacon, raisins, sunflower nuts, shredded cheese and onion.
- In small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar; blend well. Toss dressing with broccoli mixture.
- Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.