Cold weather, hot soup. Need I say more?
White Bean & Bacon Soup
This bean and bacon soup is wonderful to serve on a cold winter night... or any time you want a hearty and warming bowl!
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 6 or so
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cans cannellini beans (or equivalent dried cannellini beans, soaked and cooked)
- 12 oz Canadian bacon, chopped
- 1 piece of parmesan rind (Optional but it gives the soup a really nice flavor.)
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook around 5 minutes, stirring often, until vegetables are tender.
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Add beans and Canadian bacon. Reduce heat and let soup simmer for 45 minutes. Remove the cheese rind. Serve with shredded Parmesan and some crusty bread.
adapted from emeals